Appliance Standards and Rulemaking Federal Advisory Committee
The Appliance and Equipment Standards Program established the Appliance Standards and Rulemaking Federal Advisory Committee (ASRAC) in an effort to further improve the Department of Energy's (DOE) process of establishing energy efficiency standards for certain appliances and commercial equipment. ASRAC will allow DOE to use negotiated rulemaking as a means to engage all interested parties, gather data, and attempt to reach consensus on establishing energy efficiency standards. Rules drafted by negotiation may be more pragmatic and implemented at earlier dates than under a more traditional rulemaking process. To learn more about ASRAC's purpose and formation, please read the Committee's charter.
The Appliance Standards and Rulemaking Federal Advisory Committee was created as a discretionary advisory committee to provide advice and recommendations related to:
- Development of minimum efficiency standards for appliances and equipment;
- Development of product test procedures;
- Certification and enforcement of standards,
- Labeling for various appliances and equipment; and
- Specific issues of concern to the Energy Department as requested by the Secretary of Energy, the Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and the Building Technologies Office.
Sign-up for email updates on the Appliance Standards and Rulemaking Federal Advisory Committee.
|Committee Meetings |||Members |||Working Groups |||Contact Information|
The ASRAC is expected to meet twice per year, but may meet more often, as needed. It is expected that working groups or subcommittees for specific residential appliances or commercial equipment will meet more frequently. Meetings will be open to the public and will be announced in the Federal Register no later than 15 calendar days before the meetings, in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act. Members of the public interested in attending meetings are required to email there full name, affiliation, and there citizenship to email@example.com. If meetings are held in a DOE facility, non-US citizens will have to submit additional information well in advance, so early notification of DOE is essential.
All notices, public comments, public meeting transcripts, and supporting documents associated with the committee are included in Docket No. EERE-2013-BT-NOC-0005.
- Notice of Open Meeting, Federal Register, 78 FR 3854 (January 17, 2013)
- Notice of Open Teleconference/Webinar, Federal Register, 78 FR 51100 (August 20, 2013)
Commercial Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning, Water Heating, and Refrigeration Certification Working Group
All notices, public comments, public meeting transcripts, and supporting documents associated with this working group are included in Docket No. EERE-2013-BT-NOC-0023.
- Notice of Intent – Call for Nominations, Federal Register, 78 FR 15652 (March 12, 2013)
- Notice of Open Meeting – Announcement of Working Group Members, Federal Register, 78 FR 22431 (April 16, 2013)
- Notice of Open Meeting, Federal Register, 78 FR 27866 (May 13, 2013)
- Notice of Open Meetings, Federal Register, 78 FR 37495 (June 21, 2013)
- Notice of Open Teleconference/Webinar, Federal Register, 78 FR 37995 (June 25, 2013)
- Notice of Open Teleconference/Webinar, Federal Register, 78 FR 41867 (July 12, 2013)
- Notice of Open Meetings, Federal Register, 78 FR 49699 (August 15, 2013)
- Working Group Report to ASRAC
- Working Group Final Votes – Presentation Slides
- Basic Model Definition Recommendations
Commercial/Industrial Pumps Working Group
All notices, public comments, public meeting transcripts, and supporting documents associated with this working group are included in Docket No. EERE-2013-BT-NOC-0039.
- Notice of Intent, Federal Register, 78 FR 44036 (July 23, 2013)
- Notice of Open Meeting, Federal Register, 78 FR 67319 (November 12, 2013)
|Date||Time (EST)||Location1||Webinar Registration|
|12/18/2013||10:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m.||DOE||https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/835923289|
|12/19/2013||8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||DOE||https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/379301784|
Currently, 11 Committee members have been appointed with staggered term limits to ensure continuity in the functioning of the Committee. As reflected in the charter, Committee members shall be experts in their respective fields including, but not limited to: energy efficiency and appliance and commercial equipment standards; or as representatives of industry (including manufacturers and trade associations representing manufacturers, component manufacturers and related suppliers, and retailers), utilities, energy efficiency/environmental advocacy groups and consumers. At least one Energy Department employee will be appointed to the Committee to represent the interests of the Department.
- Co-Chair - Mr. Andrew deLaski; Appliance Standards Awareness Project
- Co-Chair - Mr. John Mandyck; UTC Climate, Controls & Security
- Ms. Ashley Armstrong; U.S. Department of Energy
- Mr. John Caskey; National Electrical Manufacturers Association
- Mr. Timothy Cassidy; Best Buy Co., Inc.
- Mr. Thomas Coughlin; National Grid
- Mr. Steven Cousins; The Coca-Cola Company
- Mr. Thomas Eckman; Northwest Power and Conservation Council
- Dr. David Hungerford; California Energy Commission
- Ms. Kelley Kline; General Electric, Appliances
- Mr. Kent Peterson; P2S Engineering, Inc.
For more information concerning the Appliance Standards and Rulemaking Federal Advisory Committee, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.