U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Federal Energy Management Program
Operations and Maintenance for Major Equipment Types
Equipment lies at the heart of all operations and maintenance (O&M) activities. This equipment varies greatly across the Federal sector in age, size, type, model, condition, etc.
No single resource covers all equipment in use by Federal agencies, and listing major equipment types is beyond the scope of this website. Instead, FEMP outlines major equipment types within chapter 9 of the FEMP O&M Best Practices Guide.
The FEMP O&M Best Practices Guide focuses on:
- Steam traps
- Cooling towers
- Energy management and building automation systems
- Air handling systems
- Air compressors
The guide provides the following information for each equipment type:
- General equipment descriptions and operating principles.
- Key maintenance components.
- Important safety issues.
- Cost and energy efficiency issues.
- Water related efficiency issues.
- Recommended maintenance checklists.
For more information about equipment options, see FEMP's Covered Product Categories.
The full FEMP O&M Best Practices Guide is also available.