Federal Water Efficiency Best Management Practices
Water Sense at Work
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency developed WaterSense at Work, a compilation of water-efficiency best management practices (BMPs), to help commercial and institutional facilities understand and manage water use, help facilities establish effective water-management programs, and identify projects and practices that reduce facility water use.
FEMP originally developed Federal Water Efficiency Best Management Practices (BMPs) in response to Executive Order (E.O.) 13123 requirements, which required Federal agencies to reduce water use through cost-effective water efficiency improvements. E.O. 13423 supersedes E.O. 13123. To account for the superseded requirement changes, water use patterns, and advancing technologies, the Environmental Protection Agency's WaterSense Office updated the original BMPs.
E.O. 13514 expands the water efficiency requirements of E.O. 13423 and the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) of 2007. E.O. 13514 does not supersede either regulation, but does require Federal agencies to improve water efficiency and management by:
Reducing potable water consumption intensity 2% annually through FY 2020, or 26% by the end of FY 2020, relative to a FY 2007 baseline.
Reducing agency industrial, landscaping, and agricultural volumetric water consumption 2% annually, or 20% by the end of FY 2020, relative to a FY 2010 baseline.
Identifying, promoting, and implementing water reuse strategies consistent with state law that reduce potable water consumption.
The BMPs written for E.O. 13423 continue to help Federal agencies achieve the water efficiency goals of E.O. 13514.
- BMP #1 - Water Management Planning
- BMP #2 - Information and Education Programs
- BMP #3 - Distribution System Audits, Leak Detection, and Repair
- BMP #4 - Water-Efficient Landscaping
- BMP #5 - Water-Efficient Irrigation
- BMP #6 - Toilets and Urinals
- BMP #7 - Faucets and Showerheads
- BMP #8 - Boiler/Steam Systems
- BMP #9 - Single-Pass Cooling Equipment
- BMP #10 - Cooling Tower Management
- BMP #11 - Commercial Kitchen Equipment
- BMP #12 - Laboratory/Medical Equipment
- BMP #13 - Other Water Intensive Processes
- BMP #14 - Alternate Water Sources