Buy American Provision
This Web page contains guidance for financial assistance recipients regarding Buy American Recovery Act provisions under projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and administered by the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE).
The Buy American provision in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (section 1605 of Title XVI), provides that, unless one of three listed exceptions applies (nonavailability, unreasonable cost, and inconsistent with the public interest), and a waiver is granted, none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by the Act may be used for a project for the construction, alteration, maintenance, or repair of a public building or public work unless all the iron, steel, and manufactured goods used are produced in the United States.
Please check this page regularly, as the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy will provide updates as further guidance is released.
If you have any questions about the Buy American provision, please contact email@example.com.
Buy American Desk Guide
These include guidance and regulations documents that provide information on the Buy American Provision.
- OMB Interim Final Regulations
- Guidance on the Term "Project" Under the Recovery Act Buy American Provisions
- Guidance on Documenting Compliance with the Recovery Act Buy American Provisions
- Guidance on Manufactured Goods and Substantial Transformation for Financial Assistance Awards
- Recovery Act Buy American Guidance on Implementing the Agreement Between Canada and the United States of America on Government Procurement
- Guidance on the Buy American Provisions as Applied to EERE Projects funded by ARRA
Frequently Asked Questions
These documents provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the Buy American Provision.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Buy American Provision
- International Trade Agreements and the Recovery Act Buy American Provisions: Frequently Asked Questions
- Computer Hardware and Software: Frequently Asked Questions
Reporting Fraud or Abuse
To report a Buy American violation, fraudulent activity, or other concern, please describe the issue in an email and submit it—along with all supporting information—to BuyAmericanComplaints@hq.doe.gov.