CSP Energy Storage Solutions — Multiple Technologies Compared
US Solar Holdings, under the Thermal Storage FOA, is aiming to demonstrate commercial, utility-scale thermal energy storage technologies and provide a path to cost-effective energy storage for CSP plants >50 MW.
The project's key objectives include:
- Further proof and cost reduction for thermocline technology
- Development of the novel two-silo sand storage ("SandShifter") technology
- Optimization of capital costs and full life-cycle costs through design approach, materials selection, and construction techniques
- Development of system operation strategies
- Maximization of overall utility value (particularly in terms of capacity maximization and time of energy delivery)
- Analysis and optimization of operation and maintenance issues.
For the thermocline portion, US Solar Holdings is creating a reference facility to support financing and operation of thermoclines at future, larger CSP plants. For the SandShifter, the project is focusing on identification and vetting of key issues for this novel thermal energy storage (TES) concept, with a goal of moving through these issues into an operational facility. Expected outcomes include:
- Construction and operation of a 1-MW demonstration project
- Cost-estimation and analysis showing cost-effectiveness (or not) at the 50+ MW scale.
By the end of the project they hope to show that these novel concepts for TES have the potential to reduce the cost of TES to <$15/kWth and achieve round-trip efficiencies >93%.
Publications, Patents, and Awards
- Pei-Wen Li, Jon Van Lew, Wafaa Karaki, Cho Lik Chan, Jake Stephens, "Analysis and Computation of the Heat Charge/Discharge Behavior in Packed Bed Thermal Storage Systems," Chapter 11, CFD Applications in Energy and Environment Sectors, Vol.1, ISBN 13: 978-1-46623-065-1, Edited by Maher A.R. Sadiq Al-Baghdadi and Hashim R. Abdol Hamid, published by International Energy and Environment Foundation (IEEF), 2011.
- Pei Wen Li, Jon Van Lew, Wafaa Karaki, Cho Lik Chan, "Transient Heat Transfer and Energy Transport in Packed Bed Thermal Storage Systems," Chapter 20, Developments in Heat Transfer, ISBN: 978-953-307-569-3, Edited by Marco Aurélio dos Santos Bernardes, Intech Open Access Publisher, 2011.
- Jon T. Van Lew, Peiwen Li, Cho Lik Chan, Wafaa Karaki, Jake Stephens, "Analysis of Heat Storage and Delivery of a Thermocline Tank Having Solid Filler Material," ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, May 2011, Vol. 133, 021003.
- Peiwen Li, Jon Van Lew, Wafaa Karaki, Cholik Chan, Jake Stephens, Qiuwang Wang, "Generalized Charts of Energy Storage Effectiveness for Thermocline Heat Storage Tank Design and Calibration," Solar Energy, 85(2011) 2130-2143.
- Peiwen Li, Jon Van Lew, Cholik Chan, Wafaa Karaki, Jake Stephens, J. E. O'Brien, "Similarity and Generalized Analysis of Efficiencies of Thermal Energy Storage Systems," submitted to International Journal, Renewable Energy, 39 (2012) 388-402.
Quarterly Progress Reports