The fiscal year 2013 budget for the Wind Program is $87.9 million. On this page, you can learn more about the Program's budget for this fiscal year as well as previous fiscal years.
This chart illustrates the budget for wind power activities in previous fiscal years.
Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Request Priority Activities
For information on the Wind Power Program's $144 million Fiscal Year 2014 budget request to Congress, please see the full budget request on the DOE Chief Financial Officers' website. The Wind Program request can be found in Volume 3 on page EE-132. Priority activity areas include:
- Promote Offshore Wind: Development and demonstration of offshore wind systems, speeding deployment of the first U.S. offshore wind projects, and refinement of technologies by domestic wind technology manufacturing.
- Wind Plant Optimization R&D: High performance, computing-based R&D program for complex wind plant aerodynamics and wind plant operational optimization that will allow project developers to improve overall wind plant capacity factors and plant interactions with the transmission grid system.
- Manufacturing R&D: R&D program focused on high‐impact innovation in wind component manufacturing to dramatically reduce the cost of wind power technology and increase U.S. manufacturing competitiveness in the wind power industry.
- Grid Integration: Conducting wind-grid integration and transmissions studies and developing wind energy forecasting tools for grid operators.
- Streamline Siting, Permitting, and Certification: Conducting wildlife impact analyses, assessment of radar mitigation solutions, and investing in testing facilities at the national laboratories for academic and industry use.